* Talking to the Local SS office is usually better! Surveys report individuals received incorrect information when calling SS's main 800 # !
Tell the Local office you want to talk to a Retirement person! Many offices, including New London, are not setting up in person appoitments but do set a time for a telephone appoitment.
When talking ask about:
● Completing your application for Part B and activating Part A.
● SS's options to pay your share of Part B monthly cost. B's base is $164.90 a month in 2023.
Background on paying your Part B's costs:
● Part B's $164.90. base is 25% of MediCare Part B's overall costs across the US divided by the number of individuals covered by Part B.
● Your monthly cost will be higher if the AGI on your IRS 1040, from two years ago, is above 97k for a Single filer & 194k for Joint. There are five income levels above the up to 97k base. Each level adds an additional monthly cost to the $164.90!
A back and forth conversation about signing up, with a local SS Retirement person, has many advantages. However,
SS also offers an on-line MediCare sign-up option — on this SS page It's:
● Somewhat complicated so I recommend being careful.
● Not recommended when leaving an employer plan after 65! — Call John [ Google voice (860) 451-9793] if questions on why. .
Note: When your Sign-up application is complete — MediCare calls you "entitled" [not enrolled ]. Coverage is then available for medically necessary treatment or services:
● Part A — inpatient care in a hospital.
● Part B — covers the many kinds of outpatient services.
Entitled is on your MediCare ID card above the date your Part A & B medical coverage started!
The unique number on your ID card is your Medicare Beneficiary Identifer:
● Each person's MBI has 11 upper case letters & numbers:
- ● 4 a — then 3 more a — then 4 more.
● To avoid confusion between certain numbers and letters the MBI does not use letters S, L, O, I, B, and Z to eliminate confusion between letters and numbers such “0” and letter “O”.
This page has a picture of the ID card and explains the new style ID card.
In addition, to signing up for MediCare SS has good info on - when to start SS benefits. This SS summary may be useful.